Where are you from?
For some people this is a relatively simple question to answer. California, Houston TX, Great Britain, Montevideo...
For others, it's a question that involves a great deal of prefacing and explanation. "My dad was in the military so we moved around a lot." "Well I was born in Mexico City, but grew up in Guadalajara." You get the idea.
For me, it usually goes something like this: "I was born in Southern California, in the mountains." "What. Wait? They have mountains in Southern California?" "Yes. I was actually born in a ski resort town." "Skiing in Southern California? What the heck!?" "I know, right. But anyway, when I was a kid my parents got divorced and my dad moved us to Houston, but not before we spent about a year and a half in Salt Lake City." "Your dad!? What happened to your mom." "Long story, but anyway I lived in Houston for about 9 years. When I was 17 I moved to Utah to go to college." "Wait. 17? Why did you move away from home when you were 17." "Long story. But anyway, I've lived in Utah ever since.""Huh. Okay?"
Where I am from has had a huge impact on me and on my life. I feel no problem whatsoever mixing "dude!" and "y'all" into the same conversation. I feel very at home chilling out with people from many different backgrounds, languages, and cultures. I love Elvis and the Beach Boys. I can imitate a variety of accents (although I have a secret southern accent that I work very hard to suppress). I don't really consider myself to be from any one place, although my mom has lived in Fresno now for over 20 years. I've always been kind of a gypsy.
A few days ago I had a startling revelation, though, that has kind of freaked me out. I counted up, and realized that I have now lived in Provo, Utah longer than I have ever lived anywhere else. I moved out when I was 17. Before that I only lived in California for 8 years. I lived in Houston for nearly 9. I went back to Houston for a few summer vacations (disasters- I don't like being bossed around, and I DO like being super independent), and I spent a semester in my Sophomore year of college in Fresno with my mom. But, I have lived in Provo, now, for over eleven years. Eleven. Almost twelve. I've stayed in my lake house longer than any other place I've ever lived in since I moved out of my parents' homes.
That revelation has kind of shaken me to the core. Where am I from? Well, if you're going for actual length of residence, I'm from Provo. What does this say about me? What does this mean? I always thought of myself as kind of a hipster artist. You can't be hip or artistic if you're from Provo. You have to make a lot of banana muffins all the time, do your Visiting Teaching religiously, and wear giant flower headbands to your friends' baby showers, and play Bunco with the neighborhood wives on Thursday night at the local LDS chapel.
Have I, without my knowledge or consent, turned into a dorky Utah housewife? If not now, will it happen in the future? Is my gradual descent into white-bread suburbia eminent? Is it possible to stay cool and edgy when you're just so happy all the time? Is there any way to prevent this sudden urge I have to stick vinyl decals with inspiring messages and general authority quotes all over the walls of my house?
Where am I from? Provo? Southern California? Houston? Am I from anywhere?
And so what if I really like living in Provo? It's super clean. There's cool outdoorsy stuff to do like biking and boating. I can see a big shiny lake from my kitchen window. I can leave my car doors unlocked in the mall parking lot, and when I come back everything is still inside, untouched. They have all 4 seasons here, in moderation. I know where to find everything and anything... cheap! The stores are mostly open 24 hours a day, Monday through Saturday. Three weeks ago I saw WILD TURKEYS! The sky and the clouds here are prettier than anywhere else I've ever been. There is a long growing season for my flowers and vegetable gardens. Real estate is plentiful and cheap. Work is easy to find. When you go outside, it's so very quiet. We have 3 different dollar movie theaters. I can be in California, Mexico, Canada, or Texas within a 12 hour drive in any given direction. If I go shopping wearing sweats and flip-flops in the middle of winter, nobody notices or cares. There's no humidity here to make my hair frizz up. There are 4 cheap and easily accessible fabric stores within a 10 minute drive from my house. Main Street in Provo is the cutest frickin' place on earth, what with all the quaint small businesses, historical buildings, and international restaurants. Much of my family lives here or near here. The schools are pretty darn good. There are over 30 different public parks in just my little town, 5 within walking/biking distance of my house. I'm part of an actual community of people whom I regularly see and spend time with at church, at work, and out and about in town. I don't feel scared or apprehensive about letting my boy go outside to play with the neighborhood kids. In the summer, the sun doesn't set until after 10 pm. Every time I go shopping at Walmart, I run in to a friend. Every. Single. Time.
I think I've realized although I detest the culture of mainstream Provoans, logistically there is no place I'd rather live. Huh. I wonder when that happened.
3 comments:
I hate answering the "Where are you from?" question. At least for the past couple of years I've been able to get away with "America."
Hmm... is this what will become of me? and is it good or bad or what?
it doesn't matter when Provo became your home. You will always be cool and they will always be lucky to have you color their town...errrrr city.
Post a Comment