Tuesday, December 7, 2010

I'm Addicted

So I recently stumbled upon this tutorial for making faux Mercury Glass. It caught my attention because I had attempted to do exactly this earlier in the year with disappointing results. What really grabbed me about her technique was how superior the end products were, how simple the process was, and how easy it would be for me to get my hands on the materials. I've seen several tutorials on Mercury Glass and tried a few of them, but all of them fell far short of the mark. This one, however, had potential.
Of course I immediately set out to Hobby Lobby to purchase a can of looking glass paint and try my hand at it. Thanks to a 40% off coupon, the spray paint was only about $6. The following pictures document the process. By the way, I found that you can get really cool multidimensional results by doing multiple light coats of paint and distressing instead of just one solid coat, followed by distressing, followed by a light coat (as suggested in the tutorial).
Cheap ugly glass Jar

 Cheap ugly glass jar plus looking glass paint
Close up of the paint finish- already a vast improvement.

After distressing the paint with vinegar

 Of course I couldn't stop with just one. I never can.
The finished product.

I have a feeling that no piece of glass in my house is safe now.


10 comments:

Alisha said...

Oh, I must try that! I smell a project to do with my mom over Christmas. She will love it.

Anonymous said...

Very cute! I wouldn't have thought of vinegar.

Anna @ Take the Side Street said...

These look fabulous! Thanks for the link back. Excellent job :)

Jessica @ Decor Adventures said...

Looks really amazing! I can't find that spray paint but as soon as I do, no piece of glass in my house would be safe either :-)

Reunion Committee said...

oh these are gorgeous!! Love them!
Tana

Camille Farias said...

Why thank you, ladies! I must admit that I was quite pleased with the results myself.

Dacia said...

Love this idea! Thanks for sharing!

HouseMama said...

This is fantastic! I'm looking forward to trying it out myself.

Hearts and Hands for Nepal said...

very pretty! Those would make wonderful christmas presents!

Natalie said...

When my mom said she wanted to mercury glass some vases, I remembered this post and we are doing it today. Thanks!