Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Rock Lobster!

Ok. So the title of this post has nothing to do with anything. I just kind of like the B-52's sometimes. I don't think that's such a crime, unless I admit it in public.

So my friend Megan posted this picture on Facebook the other day and it really made me think back on the good ol' days.
I have been in Provo now for officially 9 years. That makes me feel really old and lame most of the time, but you know what? I'm glad about it. When I graduated from BYU the only thing I wanted to do was get married to my high-school boyfriend, but he wanted to do a mission and I wanted to support him in that. I waited for him for 3 years, and to help ease the waiting I came to BYU. I also came up here because it was halfway in between either parent. (Nice strategy, huh? I was out of both of their jurisdiction! Sorry mom, but it's true) It worked out for the best, though, and I've had some really good times here.
Now since both of my parents read this blog I'll spare them the details of my college years. But this picture kind of sums up the kind of stupid stuff we used to do.
On my 18th birthday we decided to celebrate in style. Since I wasn't interested in smoking, we figured we'd just commit a misdemeanor. There is a local gas station chain called the Maxi Mart. Classic. Now, knowing me you can probably guess where this is going.
I'm all for honesty in advertising so I thought we should Maxi the Maxi Mart- you know- to send a positive message about their corporate identy to the public. Mel's friend Alicia donated the Maxis and Mel, Alicia, and Megan helped me do the dirty work. Mel's roommate Jenny took the photos, and the rest is history.
Most of them fell off within a few weeks, but there was this big Always overnight that stuck to the sign for literally like 2 years. It was still there when Luis and I started going out, I totally promise. Gross! I guess no one wanted to get near it.
Aside from the horrible vandalism we are perpetuating on an honest business establishment my favorite part of this picture is how I look. This is living proof that I spent about 4 years literally not caring what I looked like and pushing the envelope as far as I could go without crossing the line between eccentric and full-on crazy. Note my excessively dark, short hair and overly colorful wardrobe. Classic!
Anyway, enjoy. This is seriously one of my favorite pictures ever. Thanks Megan for posting it!!!

1 comment:

melissa said...

That's awesome! My friend, Becky, and I had a goal to make into "Police Beat" before we graduated from BYU. We never did. But then, I never graduated, so maybe there's still time?