Sunday, December 14, 2008

Come together, right now...

So Andrei is a weird kid. Have I ever mentioned that before? He didn't talk until he was three. Literally. It mostly just shouting, screaming, grunting, throwing, and hitting. He did, however, know all the lyrics to the Barney song before his second birthday. He also has been able to dance in rhythm since he was 8 or 9 months old. It's truly bizarre. To this day he has trouble with anything verbal or written. He is a slow reader at best and he has no interest whatsoever in becoming better. He is, however, obsessed with music. Still. He can sing in harmony, and he can hold a tune while others sing harmony to it.
While we were at my mom's house in Fresno over Thanksgiving, she gave him a quick piano lesson and he's totally internalized it. He's been bugging me about that darn piano for a couple of weeks now, so I dug my old keyboard out of the crawl space this weekend and bought a universal DC adapter so we could plug it in. He went nuts. He spent like an hour and a half just playing around with the different settings and I had to drag him to bed. He even got me to get out my violin so we could "jam." I haven't touched the thing for years now, since I basically gave up music when I got to college. I guess this is something he really wants to do, though so who knows. Maybe I'll get back in to it, thanks to him.
Kids are weird like that.

1 comment:

Brent and Emily said...

I'll just have to get into the crawlspace again!

Your story reminds me of the one mom tells about when I was little (maybe 2) and we were at the grocery store and I was drumming on the handlebars of the cart and she couldn't figure out why until she stopped and paid attention and realized I was drumming to the beat of the background music.

I think music just comes hardwired in some people when we are born.