Ok. Here's the quick version for those of you who haven't been around much in the last 4 months- back in February or March I realized that as much as I love teaching I can't really see myself spending my career doing it. I've tried, and I just can't visualize it.
Fast forward a few months to May and I put down the deposit on a cozy little store located at the intersection of University Ave. and Center street in Provo. For those of you who don't know Provo well, that's the intersection of "Holy crap, this is where all of the people in Provo are" and "there's no way I can afford the rent around here." Except I can because the place looked like the 1980's went there to die so they discounted it and rented it 'as is.' I spent most of June fixing up the place and it's pretty cute now.
Fast forward a little more and our first Bridal Extravaganza is this weekend. We'll be displaying a booth at the La Caille Bridal Fair and booking appointments for the Casablanca Gown Co.- Utah's one and only bridal atelier. We do couture on a budget, basically, and I love it. Of course I'm working harder on this than I ever did on teaching (minus the all-nighters I pull sometimes the week before grades are due) but it is so much more fun. I'm pretty excited about La Caille because it's our opportunity to market directly to our target demographic. Yes!!!
My partner's name is Jenny Vance. She's the same age as my sister Emily and a graduate of design school with 3 years experience working for Wilhelmina Urban based out of SLC. She's brilliant and a lot of fun. We're giving it until December to start really bringing in the bucks- but I'm thinking that after this week that won't be a problem. We already have a bridal boutique from up in northern Utah interested in buying wholesale from us and carrying our line in their store. We also have a dance company interested in us designing and creating their costumes, which is cool since Jenny also worked for Ballet West at one point and has experience in that area.
Anyway, that's what I've been doing over the summer. If any of you have advice on what we should include in our La Caille display, please feel free to make suggestions. I've been to a lot of vendor fairs before, but never a wedding show. I've have some ideas, but I would like some input on how to flesh them out. I was thinking of doing a powerpoint with my projector. Is that too over the top? Should I just stick to mannequins and portfolios? Should I include sketches of our fall line?
Thanks!
2 comments:
Sketches of your "fall line"? Well then, Ms. Fancy Pants! Of course you should include that in your show! :) Good luck!!!
Way to be. Way to BE! Good luck.
Post a Comment