Thursday, September 23, 2010

Pho!

If you've never eaten Vietnamese food, you should. Like, today. Tomorrow at the latest. Seriously.
I had my first encounter with it tonight for hubby's birthday dinner (happy 33rd, babe!). We'd never been, and we noticed a newer restaurant across the street from our favorite Salvadorean restaurant (also another MUST on your ethnic food bucket list) about two weeks ago.
We got pho. With beef. And slices of heaven mixed in with some green onion. It may be the best soup I've ever had. Gahhh...

I also got summer rolls, which I was expecting to taste more like other Asian spring rolls I've tried (read: vegetarian wraps fried until crispy golden brown). I was wrong. They were fresh, wrapped in rice noodle, served cold with peanut sauce, and so, so yummy. I would have probably liked a little soy sauce on the side and/or spicey mustard, but otherwise perfection. They reminded me a lot more of the lettuce wraps at P.F. Changs than the deep fried goodness I was expecting. I was not disappointed.

Luis and I easily split one bowl of pho for a mere $7, and the rolls were only like $3.50. Nothing was greasy, oily, excessively heavy, or loaded with MSG. It was all light, fresh, clean-tasting, and full of fresh veggies, yet surprisingly filling.
If you live in P-town and want to go on a culinary trip to paradise, stop by Rice King Vietnamese Pho on 275 W and Center (across from Atchafalaya). The restaurant was sanitary, the service awesome, prices excellent, and that soup will haunt my dreams forever. I could go for some more right now, since I'm being honest.
We're SO stopping by there again next week on our "dinner out" night.
Mmm.......... pho.

No comments: