Monday, September 20, 2010

Blessed

I have an old friend who despite all odds I have kept in touch with for over a decade. She is the mother of one of the boys I dated in High School, and she was one of the most influential people in my life the first few years of college, despite the fact that she never realized it. Her nephew has started a blog about his experiences as a single dad, and today he posted about Perfectionism and how poisonous it can become in our own lives. Here's the link if you're interested.
As I was reading this post I was physically overcome with a sense of joy and gratitude for the experiences I have had over the past decade. 10 years ago, I was a lost, angry, confused young woman who could not see beyond tomorrow. Thanks to my dear friend whom I have mentioned above, I got some help with my issues, and started a 10 year long journey of self discovery which I feel has been most fruitful.
I'm not sure what the next ten years will bring, but for this moment I am perfectly happy. I'm sure there will be terrible trials, both physical and emotional. I'm sure that I will wonder what I have to be thankful for at some point. I'm sure that I will question my faith in the Lord Jesus Christ whom is the author and foundation of my happiness.
For all these reasons and more, I want to publicly state how joyous I am right now in this instant. I think we always talk about the hard times we are facing, and then when the good comes along we're so giddy with excitement that we forget to talk about it, too. I don't want to forget, so here are some of the things I'm grateful for:
1. My dear husband, who is the love of my life and my very best friend. We haven't always had an ideal relationship, and we're always working out the kinks, but he is the only man for me and I will be grateful for him until the day I die... and hopefully beyond.
2. My faith. My relationship with Christ has changed my life. It has made it richer, deeper, and much sweeter. My testimony of Christ is the rock upon which all my happiness is built, and he is the architect of joy.
3. My family. All of them. Even the ones I haven't met yet. I'm grateful to belong to a church that places the emphasis on family, and I'm so grateful for my dear family's patience with me as I discover what it means to be a sister, daughter, granddaughter, cousin, wife, aunt, and stepmother. I hope to add mother to my resume' soon, too.
4. My education. My patriarchal blessing promised me that I would find much beauty, happiness, and joy in completing my University education. I questioned that so many times over the years as I struggled physically and emotionally to complete my BA degree. I wanted to drop out after every semester, but that line in my blessing kept me going. 7 years after graduating I can say that I thank the Lord for giving me the strength and courage not to give up, because I am grateful every day that I graduated.
5. My material blessings. I know it sounds petty and unimportant, and it is, but I have been so materially blessed. For a little girl who grew up in the depths of her parents' leanest years, I sometimes have to pinch myself when I realize the great material wealth I've been given. In the long run, it doesn't mean a lot, but I sure don't take it for granted.
6. My physical body. My relationship with my own body is probably one of the most complex relationships I've had to cultivate throughout my life. I am at a point now where I can forgive myself for my imperfections and can celebrate what does work. I love to run, and dance, and climb mountains. I love to tend my garden and make beautiful things with my hands. I am so grateful for a body which is capable of doing all these things without limitations, and I'm so blessed that most of my severe physical limitations can be addressed and treated with modern medication.

I hope that when I encounter the next speed bumps in my happiness I can look back at this blog post and remember how full of love and life and joy I am right now. I hope to never forget how blessed I truly am.
Have you counted your blessings today?

2 comments:

Ben and Mel said...

Thank you for putting me onto that post... I have been trying to be real in my life for a long time... It really is hard... People really don't respond well to it... That post also made me realize that I am not as real as I think I am... I hide... so I don't have to be fake... but is that being real... not really... Love to you Cami!

Hearts and Hands for Nepal said...

what a beautiful post! Thanks for the inspiration!