Friday, July 16, 2010

Terminal is a Dirty Word

My grandma has cancer. It is terminal.

She's fought it and beat it before. She's had a double masectomy and was given a clean bill of health about a decade ago. She dedicated the next ten years to gracefully and courageously battling her husband's Alzheimer's. He passed away almost a year ago and she's been doing great. She lost a bunch of weight. She triumphantly celebrated her 85th birthday. She started traveling again for the first time in a decade (she was quite the globe trotter in her younger years). She bought new clothes and makeup. I saw her in May at my cousin's wedding. She looked radiant. I remember because I told her so.

Last week she went to the doctor because she's had a nagging cough and some shortness of breath. She thought it might be bronchitis. It's not. I'm taking her to another specialist at 3 today so they can drain the fluid from the tumor that is preventing her from breathing comfortably.

The doctor says at this point it's just a matter of time- how much precious time does she have left?

Have you thanked Heavenly Father for the time you have been given today? I have.

2 comments:

Alisha said...

Oh, sweetie. I'm so sorry. I'm keeping you and your grandma in my prayers. I can't imagine how hard it must be for you to take her to the doctor... I know she's the one having the hard time, but I know what it's like to take care of/help someone who is so sick. Love you. Call me if you want to go to lunch sometime, or just need a chat.

Talonia said...

Our thoughts, love and prayer are with you and your family! We will keep up with you and Luis to see if there is anything we can do! Love ya'