Saturday, November 21, 2009

Autumn Gardening

It's been a few months since I've had any gardening news to blog about. None of my autumn veggies really took hold this year. The eggplant were a royal failure, as were the peppers and the greens. I sadly threw in the towel after my summer veggies were harvested and have been waiting until I can harvest the beets.
When growing beets I ignore all the usual rules. I plant them in the poorest soil that I have, I don't water them regularly, I let my tomatoes over grow and cover them all in shade during the summer. I wait until they are very big to pick them. Because of this, I end up with large, lumpy beets that are about the size of grapefruit. They are delicious! I admit that these babies won't work for salads, etc., but our favorite way to eat beets is boiled and mashed like potatoes or pickled- both of which are easier to do if you have big, giant, slightly dried out beets. Last year I really enjoyed finding new ways to cook and eat them, and it looks like this year won't disappoint.
I love beets because they are so easy to grow. I pop the little seeds (which look really weird and cool) into a sunny, rocky part of my garden, water them regularly through June, thin them out a bit and voila'! They really are my lowest maintenence garden veggie. They really give me something to look forward to after my tomatoes die a terrible, frozen death.
Today was beet harvesting day. It was fun. We also winterized the back yard, which involved cutting back my irises, roses, lilies, and hosta. I can't wait until next year! It looks like most of the rose cuttings I got from my friend Sybil back in September took root, and it will be so much fun to watch them really get growing. The lilac appear to to all have survived the summer, and the one closest to the house even started putting out a few leaves. I really hope they come back in the spring. That would be so neat to have. Even our apple tree appears to have had a successful growing season. I'm hoping that we can get a few apples out of him next year. That would be exciting.
One of the most exciting things I discovered as I was thinning out leaves, weeds, and bulbs was a patch of horehound growing near one of the lilacs! At first I wasn't sure what it was, but after a little research I am 100% sure it's horehound! What a pleasant surprise. First the stinging nettle and now this. Horehound is a medicinal herb that's been used for thousands of years to treat bronchial ailments and sore throats... both of which I always contract during the winter. I did a little reading and came upon a recipe for horehound cough syrup and throat lozenges. I tried the latter, and they came out perfect- they taste exactly like that old fashioned horehound candy that you find around, and I am definitely glad that I'll have an alternative to menthol cough drops, which always make me sick to my stomach.
So here's to my last gardening of the season! Successful harvesting and foraging has put me in the mood for Thanksgiving. Bring on the homemade pumpkin pie!

No comments: