I have a rather peculiar problem, and I'm hoping that I'm not the only one. You see, I may have a teensy tiny plant hoarding situation going on around my house. I'm totally addicted to plants and gardening. Like 12-Step-Program, support group addicted. You know how some women compulsively shop for shoes or purses? I shop for house plants. I'm confessing this because I may have made my biggest score ever this last week, and I'm both thrilled and horrified at the implications of this discovery.
Monday, I ventured to one of my local nurseries looking for either red geraniums and/or a replacement for a rosemary topiary I had inadvertently over-watered and subsequently killed. I went to Cook's because they are simply the best place in this area for buying plants. HUGE selection, great quality, fantastic prices. I'm never disappointed by their selection, and this time I stumbled into their house plants section, eyes glazed over and needing a fix. Salivating, palms sweating, and heart palpitating, I wandered among the geraniums, the potted herbs, the succulents, and the ornamental planters; until I spotted it! Tucked neatly in the back corner of their main greenhouse there was a rather impressive stock of hanging planters filled with delicious green eye candy. After much careful thought, deliberation, and diaphragmatic breathing, I decided that I could not justify purchasing one of each, so I settled on a Boston Fern which may or may not be the largest of that species I've ever seen. I kid you not, this plant when hanging is approximately 3.5 long and weighs more than a small child. It's GORGEOUS, and I had just the right place to put it. Observe:
See? It's perfect! This photo fails to accurately communicate the enormity of this fern, but the longest fronds come within a couple inches of the floor. SO choice! The best part? I only paid $19.95 plus tax for this sweet, sweet baby. A STEAL, I tells ya! Shoot. once I payed almost that much for a half-dead Christmas Cactus in a 6 inch pot. (See? I told you I have a problem.)
Incidentally, looking at this photo I'm having a really hard time controlling my impulse to go purchase one of these for each room in my house.
What is your bizarre impulse shopping addiction?

1 comment:
gorgeous fern! My mom always had tons of plants around the house, many of them ferns. It's too bad I'm a plant-killing machine.
Post a Comment