Wednesday, December 7, 2011

What I'm Doing

So for those, if any, that are curious as to how this juice fast thing works for me, here's the low-down.
In the morning I wake up early and juice. Usually I make about a quart of juice (usually fruit mixed with carrots, celery, and cucumber), which I drink half of, saving the other half for Luis's breakfast.
During the day at school access to a juicer/juice is pretty impossible, so I usually eat maybe 1 piece of fresh fruit and some beans or nuts. A "pure" juice fast does not allow beans or nuts, but I am a working gal and I need the fiber and protein to get me through the day. Occasionally if the beans are too much for me plain, I'll dash a little vinegar on them for some extra flavor, but kidney beans and garbanzo beans are usually okay on their own.
When I get home I have a little snack (usually raw, unsalted nuts- peanuts are my fave) and then I juice again around 4:30 or 5:00. I make about a quart of juice again. This juice is more vegetable heavy. Spinach is a fave, sweet potato, tomatoes, carrots, bell peppers, broccoli- you name it, I've juiced it.
Then before bed I usually have another small snack- usually a piece of fruit or some nuts. If I'm feeling hungry- beans.
Luis and I were talking last night and he says he feels more energy than he has in years. He says getting out of his chair and walking around the bank branch doesn't require as much effort as it did before, and he is so optimistic about the results he thinks we should incorporate juicing into our lifestyle on a permanent basis after the 30 days (obviously on a lesser scale, but still regularly).

2 comments:

Natalie said...

sounds healthier than what I'm doing, but I don't think I could drink my meals like that - I'm a big texture person and I like to chew my food. Glad things are going well for you guys!! :)

Hearts and Hands for Nepal said...

I love green juice. I swear by it for more energy and vigor. I've never done a juice fast though. I go through phases where I feel like I need it and when I don't so much. Right now, I'm heavily craving citrus and cranberry. Who know why. My green juice recipe is apple, cucumber, ginger (LOTS! Love the stuff!), spinache and a squeeze of lemon. Thanks for keeping us posted...I'm highly interested in the results. How are YOU feeling?