There's an old saying that death always comes in three. I knew that this was coming, but the timing has totally blindsided me.
I'm in Idaho for my step-mom's funeral. We left Provo last night at 9:30 pm (to avoid traffic) and got to Idaho Falls at about 1:30 am. I fell asleep around 2. At 7:30 am, my mom called to tell me that my grandmother had passed away, also due to complications from breast cancer. The official cause of death was a heart-attack in the middle of the night, but she's been having a lot of different problems as the cancer has spread, so it could have really been anything.
Grief on top of grief is something quite new to me. I've lost loved ones before, but never someone as close to me as my step-mom, and definitely never two people so close to me so close together. The fact that they both passed due to complications arising from breast cancer, and that October is Breast Cancer Awareness month stings like an open wound. I literally cannot emotionally or physically process this right now, so I'm copping out and taking a nap. I think that's pretty good for today.
At 4, I have a family dinner with my step-mom's kids. Then we're having a family memorial. The funeral is tomorrow morning.
Grandma's funeral will probably be a week from today. I cannot talk about her, her life, our relationship, or her funerary arrangements until after I finish processing my step-mom's death. I feel bad that when my mom called this morning I couldn't really respond, but I'm sure she understands. In fact, I'm sure she understands more than just about anyone right now. I will call her on Sunday or Monday and we can have a long, long talk.
As for you all, I will write about it later this weekend, possibly Sunday.
Until then, I need to sleep.
3 comments:
Thanks for putting your thoughts into words. They have really helped me. You are an amazing strong woman. I am proud to have you as my sister. I love you!
Tiffani
Farias- it has been a year since we lost our Tia Lupe and all though time helps us adjust they always remain with us! I am sure that they continue to be with you. Travel safe and please call if you need anything. I'll check in later in the week.
I love you Cami!
Post a Comment