Saturday, March 28, 2009

Andy's Room

So I redid some stuff in Andy's room this week. It's coming along, but it just doesn't feel totally balanced yet.
Here's the before pic's.

We put a big shelf on the wall over the dresser so that we could clean all the junk sitting on the dresser off to make room for art projects and homework. I also painted a bit mural to hang over his bed since it was nothing but blank wall. I'm pretty sure it's the coolest thing I've ever painted on a drop cloth before. ;)

Here's the after pic's.


So here's my dilemma- I've got 2 walls left over that are totally bare except for the Alphabet Decals on the ceiling (I love them! I got the whole set for like $75 at a really great website- these vinyl decals would have cost me like $250 anywhere else because they're big and I have the entire alphabet in Upper and Lower case). Do I put anything on these walls? A photo board? A cool silhouette? A photo of the boy? A giant letter A? A mounted skateboard? One of those obnoxious big metal stars?
I'm stumped. Here are the 2 walls in question.
I hate theme rooms (no offense if you theme your kids rooms- there are some really cute ones out there- I'm just totally against the pre-fab corporate stuff). I'm really into having an inspiration that get's based off of (in this case, the inspiration is little kid stuff). I want the room to look natural, warm (hard to do with that omnipresent blue, huh?), cozy, and inviting. I think it's getting there, but I'm worried it's starting to look too cluttered. Anyway, I'm starting to ramble. So, what do you think?

3 comments:

Sara said...

On the wall over the bed, you could put a map (U.S. or world, it doesn't matter). They're big, and Costco usually sells a bundle of 3 for around $10 (though Jake has been permanently banned from having a map in his room, since it forces him to forget everything else and spend inordinate amounts of time studying it). Over the desk, I'd put a magnet board. We got some from Ikea for pretty cheap about a hundred years ago, and the kids still love them (and I love that I don't have to worry about fallen tacks waiting for my unshod foot).

Or you could always distract Luis (yelling out "Look! Russian paratroopers!" usually works) while you buy this:
http://www.designpublic.com/shop/hybrid-home/7609

It's the greatest poster-for-a-boy ever. Or possibly just ever.

Love you! xoxo

Brent said...

You know, little kid stuff!

Sara, that IS the greatest poster, ever.

Unknown said...

You could get some chalkboard paint and square off an area with tape, and paint him a chalkboard! I know, it can be kinda messy with all the dust, but if you get a small shelf to contain the chalk and eraser (or a bin of some sort) he would be able to draw on his walls! What kid doesn't like to do that! You could even paint it on the back of his door so it would be easier to hide.