Sunday, February 8, 2009

Things are looking up...

One of my favorite songs right now is Mr. Carter (by Lil' Wayne, who rocks!). It starts out with a really breathy intro with just a beat track and the following line: "I feel big. Like not big in the sense of weight. Like gaining weight or nothin' like that. Like collossal, like..."
I'm pretty sure it's one of the best opening lines of a literary work anywhere.

That's kind of how I'm feeling these days. My job still sucks, but I'm starting to finally see where I fit in and why I'm there.

Last week I blogged about my experience at church during the mid-week activities. Well, I had a major repeat of that today. I saw one of my former students who was having problem with grades, skipping school, fighting, tagging, and hanging out with gangs today. He was dressed in a 3 button black suit and tie passing the sacrament. I saw another student from the same class who was in the exact same situation there with his whole family and the missionaries.

Let me tell you- there is NO feeling in the world better than watching a kid go from wearing Crips blue to wearing a suit and tie and blessing/passing the sacrament.

Last night was crazy, too. I went to the quinceanera of one of my alumni and saw literally half of my 2nd period there- many of them with their families. Many of them non-member. I got stopped by former students of mine from literally 4 years of school- kids that are now 16 years +. It was great. I love feeling like I'm part of a community- not just a school or a church or a family, but a whole community. There is NO feeling out there to describe what it's like to know so many people and their kids and their parents and their siblings and to watch all these beautiful youth grow and flourish, etc. Let's just say it was cool.

After the quinceanera we went to a family friend's birthday party. Junior Frika is the oldest son of Arismandi and Rosalba Frika who are our former neighbors and best Dominican friends. :) They had possibly the greatest kids party I've ever been to. The kids just ran around like maniacs and the adults had an impromptu dance party in Aris's garage (he's a DJ). The garage is painted and soundproofed and rigged with speakers and lights- like a mini club.

I haven't had that much fun at someone's house in literally years! It was great because I knew Andrei was safe and wouldn't get in trouble (the Frika's kids are so crazy they make Andrei look like the role model!) and I could just let go and have a good time for once. If you know me, you know that never happens.

Anyway, things are looking up. This feels good.

No comments: